August 5, 2011

aujourd'hui l'aubergine

The daily doodle today is eggplant. I have been lusting for a little Moussaka lately, and though The Mister is not this violet nightshade's biggest fan, I went ahead and labored through the late afternoon to make us a homemade version anyways, (like I said, I have a scratch to itch.) Lo and behold, I turned my man into a believer!

Moussaka: I used a very loose version of this recipe. I prefer Creme Fraiche over Béchamel - which removes quite a bit of work -  and I use parmesan only on the top and then serve with extra at the table.  Fresh grated parmesan only, please. Make it a new house rule. The nutmeg/cinnamon flavors are a must, and pumpkin pie spice will do just fine. I also substitute Beef for Lamb as it is in-season, add zucchini to liven it up, and a word to the rookies: as with any lasagna-style baked and layered casserole, Moussaka does not fit under the category of wham-bam-thank-you-ma-am. 


Ingredients at their best in AUGUST include:

Aubergine
Basil
Beetroot
Blackberries
Corn
Crab
Duck
Fennel
Fig
Lamb
Lettuce
Mackerel
Melon
Nectarine
Peaches
Plums
Summer Squash
Tomatoes



Get thee a grater. I have (forcibly) used our family's rape a fromage to grate enough parmesan for twenty plus people on regular occasions --- and 20-plus French cheese loving people no less! My family must have moved up in the cheese grating world, because this summer they sent me home with the above 'heirloom.'




No comments: