May 12, 2010

I'm twenty-something and I have angst


The state of your life is nothing more than a reflection of your state of mind.
-Wayne Dyer


Characteristics of a quarter-life crisis may include:
(per Wikipedia)
  • realizing that the pursuits of one's peers are useless
  • confronting their own mortality
  • watching time slowly take its toll on their parents, only to realize they are next
  • insecurity regarding the fact that their actions are meaningless
  • insecurity concerning ability to love themselves, let alone another person
  • insecurity regarding present accomplishments
  • re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships
  • lack of friendships or romantic relationships, sexual frustration, and involuntary celibacy
  • disappointment with one's job
  • nostalgia for university, college, high school or elementary school life
  • tendency to hold stronger opinions
  • boredom with social interactions
  • loss of closeness to high school and college friends
  • financially rooted stress (overwhelming college loans, unanticipated high cost of living, etc.)
  • loneliness, depression and suicidal tendencies
  • desire to have children
  • a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you
  • frustration with social skills

Being twenty-something is no walk in the park. I am gradually coming to realize this, and thankfully registering at the same time that I am not alone in this thinking. As I was perusing the Kripalu (yoga school) website for my airport shuttle times this Friday I came across a six-day workshop entitled Quarter Life Calling: Creating an Extraordinary Life in Your 20's and got me thinking, maybe I'm not so mentally strange.

Only an hour later I found myself at lunch with my early 30's friend L and the same topic came up. She reassured me that it is in fact a troubling time of uncertainty and angst (her word,) not just my imagination, I am thankful for friends like these.
Knowing I'm not alone makes me rest easy. Already, I' feeling breezy.




The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
-Henry David Thoreau

No comments: