May 11, 2010

The power of the sweat


I have this terrible dark side to my personality, which playing tennis keeps at bay.
-Monica Seles*

Exercise is the number one recommendation for naturally fighting the symptoms of depression. (I am not a doctor.)

Even if it was ages ago, most of us have experienced this through a "runner' s high," a clarifying hike, or a laugh-out-loud exercise class. Exercise releases the feel-good brain chemicals: neurotransmitters and endorphins, boosts confidence, is a great distractor, and can be a social outlet.

Take the first step, no more, no less, and the next will be revealed.
-Ken Roberts

Unfortunately, when we are depressed exercise is also the last thing we feel like dong- much like water can nearly cause us to gag when we are dehydrated. Baby steps. A 10k is not in order, gardening or washing your car is the perfect prescription!

Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it.
-Helen Keller

*Monica Seles has a new book out, Getting a Grip: On My Body, My Mind, My Self

Did you see Venus Williams' brown booty at the Australian Open? Apparently the whole stadium gasped when she first bent over. I personally applaud the mocha-colored jockey statement.


No comments: