July 14, 2010

I am not a fan



J's grandparents have many words of wisdom, in fact, the family has published a book of them. A personal favorite: "don't be a fanatic."
(J's grandmother makes an exception for chocolate.)

Us Clevelanders have recently seen the dangers of blind faith, but this simple adage reminds us on a daily basis not to obsess or label and to leave room for life to happen.

I referred to myself in writing as a "aspiring vegan." (To which I have had several inquiries.) At the time, I said this with truth and conviction as I do feel it is important to protect our animal friends and be good to our own bodies, but I, like you, am ever-evolving and prefer to live in the moment and act as I deem appropriate in every situation, free of self-imposed rules. Nothing is finite, and everything should be taken with a grain of salt.
One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing. --Socrates
I no longer refer to myself as a "vegetarian," "vegan," or anything else: why be limited to such confines? If a girlfriend makes me a lovely chicken dinner- I won't turn it away, if I am at a BBQ with the best pulled pork in the world smoked for three days (even basted in the middle of the night) I won't miss out on trying a piece, if a certain specialty and exotic meat purveyor wants to send me a freebee it will not go to waste, and if I feel like cooking chicken tonight...


For the most part we should all try to abstain from exploiting living beings, and understand the consequences meat consumption has on this earth but, above all of those beliefs, choose not to be Fanatic.
"Speak what you think today in hard words and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict everything you said today." --Ralph Waldo Emerson
It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind...
Other things I outspokenly hated but love now (and might hate again tomorrow.)
~ Trader Joe's
~ Uggs
~ iPhone
~ almonds
~ Louis Vuitton
~ shabby chic
~ wearing black
~ getting wedding presents
~ zero-calorie drinks
~the Fourth of July


I Often Contradict Myself

I often contradict myself.
Oh no, I never do.
I argue with me day and night.
That simply isn't true.

Oh yes it is. Oh no it's not.
I do this all day long.
Oh no I don't. Oh yes I do.
That's right. No way! It's wrong.

I'm really quite agreeable.
I argue night and day.
I love to be around myself.
I wish I'd go away.

So if you see me arguing,
it's certain that you won't.
I like to contradict myself.
I promise you I don't.

--Kenn Nesbitt
In other news Click Here if you want to know why it is so HOT out. Farmer's almanac predicted this long ago and is my new go-to weather man! Also, check out their "best days, " (click) today is best for painting, getting married, buying a home, entertaining, and traveling for pleasure: any important days or tasks ahead?! You can plan accordingly...

No comments: