October 11, 2010

hiya Pumpkin!

from my iPad

As I mentioned a few blogs before I like to eat pacifying, well-cooked foods in winter. Foods that make you feel snug as a bug in a rug. Often those are fairly sweet and require minimal mastication.

I do not advocate "substitutes" (almond butter is amazing, but is it really going to cut it if your craving the "naughtier" peanut version?) I do make healthier versions of recipes and enjoy them for what they are.

Pumpkin Pie for Autumn Mornings
or Afternoons
(It may not be your grandmothers seductive dessert, but it will give you lasting energy with low sugar content.)

3/4 pound tofu (silken if available)
1 can 16 oz organic pumpkin
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup half oil/half applesauce or whatever you have on hand
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup brown sugar (can substitute some but not all with maple syrup)

pre-made, whole wheat if possible, pre-made crust
whipped cream is a must- this pie is not very sweet.

1. Combine all ingredients, blend until smooth. I use an immersion blender.
2. Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for one hour.
3. Top with lots of whipped cream, enjoy with a maple syrup-sweetened soy latte*.

*If you guzzle a more than occasional fancy espresso-based beverage and are still at the mercy of Starbucks, free yourself and equip your kitchen! Barista-ing is a fantastic routine that makes the house smell wonderful and fully impresses guests. I can suck down a Starbucks as fast as the next guy, but I challenge you to become the maker of your own macchiato. My Nespresso(click!) setup is as follows: (I swear it was all J's idea.)



The frother makes a cappuccino so creamy you might pee your pants.