May 31, 2011

Navasana & Hello June!

With Memorial Day out of the way, let summer in! Still recuperating from the long weekend? I cannot figure out what day it is...

Paripurna Navasana ~ Full Boat Pose

Paripurna: Full, Entire, Complete
Nava: Boat

Until doodling this pose, I never knew or used the word Paripurna, but now it's a favorite. As far as Paripurna Navasana goes, though, not so much. Instead, I am a fan of Ardha Navasana: Half Boat Pose, where the legs are bent, so that the shins are parallel to the floor. My spine will not remain flat in the full pose in which case the abs are not working and the lumbar area is compromised. I also find I feel more strain on the hip flexors than strengthening anywhere else. Know thyself. Is Paripurna a goal? Not really. I use the variations that suit me to get into the abdominal muscles and leave it at that. Do not confuse 'full expression' with 'final goal.'  


I can only be afraid if I am thinking about the future

Even in moments of greatest danger, we are not afraid if we focus on exactly what we must do in that moment. Fear arises when we think about what might happen or what could have happened. Today, when you feel afraid, note that you are thinking about the future. Take a breath(or several,) and settle into the now. ––Judith Lasater, A Year of Living Your Yoga. 

No comments: