November 10, 2010

Bobbing for apples

Apples float because 25% of their volume is air.
After a few weeks of regular feasting and plans to augment the consumption of this delectable fruit, an ode to the apple is due.

Lately I'm eating my seasonal Pink Lady and Braeburn apples
~with whipped cream cheese
~with Trader Joe's raw almond butter
~grated into oatmeal
I aim for an apple a day. The larger the better.


With an apple, I will astonish Paris.
-Paul Cezanne

Las autumn, my mother and I watched in disbelief as our Parisian pastry chef gobbled down not just one, but often two or three portions of each and every confection he completed. Over a civilized french lunch my mother politely inquired how he ingested such massive amounts of french sugar, flour and butter without becoming ill. That's when he revealed his secret: Un kilo de pommes par jour. 5 apples per day.


In Hollywood, the women are all peaches. It makes one long for an apple occasionally.
-W.Somerset Maugham

Must Read