November 28, 2010

ignorance knows no bliss

Lululemon wee stripe grey separates have become my new uniform.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated," ~Mahatma Gandhi. What if we judged our own personal greatness and moral progress on the same criteria? As the Holidays fast approach and life starts moving at lightening speed, it's easy to let the twinkly lights distract us and forget the fundamentals. Here's a refresher:


'Meet Your Meat': "People for the ethical treatment of animals"

Yes, the going will get tough. I find it easier to maintain my weight when I incorporate chicken into my diet, nothing keeps me snuggly in winter like a fur, and Louboutins are leather soled. Big bummer, yes. But major sacrifices in the bigger picture? No. I, myself, am still known to sport a leather bomber jacket. It's ok to be a work in progress. But it is important to educate yourself on the repercussions of your actions. Know what it is that you are wearing and eating. It isn't cute to be oblivious. It's just ignorant. When I get off track I watch videos such as this one and repeat to myself the basic truth:

"Animals are not ours to eat,
animals are not our to wear,
animals are not ours to experiment on,
animals are not ours to use for entertainment,
animals are not ours to abuse in any way."

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather beacuse it's safer to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs. ~Author Unkown.

previously...
You are the world. If you change the world changes 
I am not a fan
See how my attempted veganism is an ever-evolving process...

No comments: