March 16, 2010

A Cookie a Day

I love these. I made them for J to take with him to school as they are healthy-on-the-go food, but it turns out I’m the one noshing like a law-school kid.

I feel smarter already.

Disclaimer: I don’t do “replacements”. These are not Paradise-Bakery-style-confections, not the amazing chewy, chunky, chippy cookie you die for. If I wanted that I would make/get that. And I do all the time. These have a slight, tart yogurt flavor- a personality all their own. Just so you know.

Chocolate-chip Cookies for the Student

Yield: 3 dozen

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup applesauce

1 cup brown sugar (I use about 3/4 cup)

1/4 cup butter, softened, not melted

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 large egg

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I love the larger disk 60% Ghirardellis!)

Cooking spray or parchment paper

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.

Pour applesauce (with minimal water) into a large bowl. Add sugar and butter; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy (an immersion blender worked as it’s all I had, brownie points for using your own elbow grease.) Beat in vanilla and egg. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed until well blended. Fold in chips.

Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. (I use parchment paper for puffiness.) Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until almost set. Cool on pan 2 to 3 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pan; cool on wire racks.

Nutritional Information

Calories per cookie (assuming you actually made 3 dozen): 78 ~ ridonculous!!!

Thank you Cooking Light for this recipe and so many others...

No comments: