March 26, 2010

Lean Mean Green Machine

minus the mean part.

Consuming green smoothies can do us wonders and we don’t have to change the rest of our diets (although it is likely to be a side effect.) Blend any fresh greens with juice- I recommend classic apple or orange, unpasteurized please, with spinach or soft leaf lettuces, but the possibilities are endless so be brave and play around. Just add them into your routine, preferably first thing before breakfast or even before every meal and see how you feel. Do it for one week and notice any changes. I dare you.

Even if we don’t undergo a pants-dropping makeovers we are likely to at least reduce our cravings for sugar, white flower, caffeine, or alcohol, and that’s enough reason for me. I like to blend a large handful of fresh spinach, 1 banana, almond milk and agave for my easy green smoothie that I enjoy every few days. Small, simple tweaks that last will gently create the most profound transformations, naturally.

Another face of green:

Madeleine’s Crispy kale!!!

Ingredients (3): desired amount of kale leaves, EVOO, sea salt

Cut leaves of kale off of stem and into bite size pieces. Wash. Dry.

Spread onto parchment paper lined baking sheet, sprinkle with olive oil and salt.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until edges are brown (not burnt) and leaves are crispy.

Be prepared to share this recipe as you surprise and shock those you serve it to: J remarked, “Where did you learn to do this?” in man-speak that's "You find the most amazing ways to surprise me, I love you."


My favorite greens book: The Live Food Factor by Susan E. Schenck and Victoria BidWell

No comments: