March 25, 2010

Let's get physical!


These are some plausible daily activities of mine and the calories I burn doing them per hour. Your numbers will be a little different, depending on your weight- but what I find interesting is the comparison. Thank goodness all this housework is coming to good use!

sleeping 50
sitting/resting 57
reading 57
writing 57
studying 100
standing misc. 114
shopping 129
walking (2 mph) 151
housework 158
stretching 215
sex 230
walking (4 mph) 280
hiking 323
tennis (singles) 331
skiing (downhill) 475
Vinyasa yoga 475
climbing stairs 488

and some i don't do so much... but have been known to dabble in!
aerobics 381
bikram/hot yoga 381
running 6mph 547
elliptical 619


I like to live more like a 'french woman who doesn't get fat' and simply move a little more all the time (with bouts of tennis, walking, and yoga) rather than hitting the gym. I don't have a membership and I don't plan on getting one. Walking is the best way to get to know a city/neighborhood and to clear our minds or get our errands done. I mean, I'll take three hours of shopping over an aerobics class any day! I do like my occasional at-home video, though, and in case you haven't been reading- I'm a Yogini!


I do admit these numbers sure make the elliptical look tempting. I'll put it on my to-buy-when-I-own-a-house list. It's amazing how we all have these lists and then the day comes and we are like a deer in headlights. (Think wedding, packing for a big trip...) Today I am going to get a binder for all the magazine clippings for my future palace. There will also have to be lots of stairs! Did you see those numbers?
One of my favorite yoga instructors, Julie, with a rockin-hard body at ripe but undeterminable age said she stayed a mini bitty by using the stairclimber. Her husband considered the squat the grandfather of all exercises. And he didn't look so bad either.

I also know I could stand to sweat a little more. (Sooo good for the pores!)
Sweating flushes out toxins and disease, it is the body's natural way to heal. I notice much clearer skin the more I sweat. A Sauna session (about 30 minutes) burns about as many calories as a walk or jog- but don't get too excited it doesn't tone muscles or shed fat. I'm not going to lie, I'll be adding it to my regimen.

1 comment:

yogini said...

work-out video is awesome